Ground Black Lime (1.7 oz)
Burlap & Barrel's Ground Black Lime is grown on a family farm in Guatemala, where ripe limes are dried in the sun until they oxidize, turning black and savory. A versatile ingredient common in Persian cooking, they have a savory, tart flavor that's great on roasted meat or vegetables, in stews and anywhere you'd use lime juice. It's also a good alternative to makrut / kaffir lime in southeast Asian dishes.
The New York Times writes: "This is sour upon sour, a quick barb of citrus, and then the musk of fermentation beneath."
- Origin: Alta Verapaz, Guatemala
- Aliases: limu omani, Persian lime, Omani lime
- Process: Sun-dried, then ground
- Ingredients: 100% sun-dried Persian lime (Citrus latifolia), ground
- Tasting notes: Bright Citrus • Garden Herbs • Tanned Leather